#@@#@!! Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY Sports #@@#@!! 8:36 p.m. EDT September 16, 2013
PACK ATTACK: #@@#@!! Rodgers mows down ‘Skins
Shanahan hasn’t suggested anything to the contrary, but quarterback controversies are part the fabric in the nation’s capital. And debate was fueled further when former Super Bowl-winning coach Tony Dungy said during the #@@#@!! Sunday Night Football #@@#@!! broadcast that if Griffin has another stinker of a performance, Washington should consider benching him and rolling with fellow second-year passer Kirk Cousins.
Well, if RG3 needs to be benched, then so does the bulk of the O-line that has left him so vulnerable. And so does coordinator Jim Haslett and his sorry defense. Same for Kyle Shanahan, the O-coordinator dialing up questionable play calls.
Sure, Griffin is bigger than the team. He’s the one who has had breakfast with President Obama.
But this 0-2 funk is so much bigger than RG3.
If he is “100% healthy,” despite what your lying eyes may tell you, he has to be given the chance to play his way back into a flow. That might be painful for the faithful to watch, but it’s part of the comeback medicine. He needs more snaps, not fewer.
Remember Operation Patience?
It’s obvious that RG3 isn’t the same guy who electrified his team en route to offensive rookie of the year honors in 2012. He doesn’t seem to have much confidence planting on his reconstructed right knee, which has thrown his mechanics out of whack.
Griffin’s throwing too frequently with his momentum moving backward, rather than forward, with a defined follow-through. His feet haven’t been consistently set. No wonder some of throws have missed by a mile, such a contrast to the dart-board accuracy that was part of his deal last year when he completed nearly 66% of his throws. He’s currently below 63%, though that doesn’t tell the tale of some blatant misfires.
The other thing that’s missing is the threat of the run.
Surely Washington doesn’t want to expose the face of the franchise to further risks by asking him to be a running quarterback — remember, the kid’s dad, Robert Griffin II, declared during the offseason that his son needed to be a pocket passer — but this is ridiculous.
Through two games, RG3 — he’s passed for 649 yards with five touchdowns and three interceptions with an 89.6 passer rating — has had exactly zero designed runs.
PHOTOS: Best of NFL Week 2
- Gruden will decide Redskins backup QB after RG3 visits…
- Browns sign RG3, quarterback gets fresh start after fall
- AP Source: Browns host free-agent quarterback RG3
- To get a change, Rams don’t have extra draft picks
- Washington Redskins 2017 Predictions, NFL Futures Odds
- Los Angeles Rams: Robert Woods Deal A lot more Favorable…
- Search positions: CFB Preview: Teams Nos. 29-20
- Angels’ Heaney continues comeback vs . Rangers (Aug 23, 2017)
- Are Jets throwing wrench into QB competition?
- Indians reliever Andrew Miller leaves game with apparent injury
- Jaguars sign RB DuJuan Harris, waive CB Charles Gaines
- DREAM PLAYS: Wide receivers more important since game shifts
- It's time for Broncos to declare Trevor Siemian victor over Paxton Lynch in QB battle
- WATCH: Drew Brees vs . Philip Rivers in QB Trick Shot Challenge
- Ratings: CFB Preview: Team Nos. 39-30
- Mathieu starting to look like ‘Honey Badger’ once again
- Tom Brady gives rookie Deshaun Watson pointers after Patriots-Texans joint practices
- Lengthy ball dooms Verlander, Tigers within 10-4 loss to Rangers
- Young running backs getting up to speed in Packers camp
- SDSU cancels practice to try to quell chickenpox outbreak
- Seahawks DE Michael Bennett sits during national anthem, plans to continue
- Ratings: Tiered CFB WR rankings
- Brewers’ Stearns, Counsell on acquisition of switch hitter Neil Walker
- WATCH: Grichuk triples in Cardinals’ make an impression on Braves
- Newton takes step, throws in person drills at camp
- Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott plans to appeal suspension, reps accuse NFL of 'factual inaccuracies'
- Sport institute head sentenced to 15 years for embezzlement
- Mickelson, Els reach milestone together within 100th major
- Ranks: Tiered CFB Fantasy QB search positions
- Dolphins defense still searching for way past Tom Brady, Patriots
- Rays look to keep season-series edge versus Red Sox (Aug 08, 2017)
- Boxing exercises: Redskins players benefit from your punches
- Betty holds on to win Women’s British Open
- LaDainian Tomlinson's stirring Hall of Fame speech on unity is one America needs to hear
- Vehicle Niekerk starts at worlds within qualifying for 400 meters
- Search positions: CFB Preview: Team Nos. 74-62